Mike hermick - the chintz room
With a nod to the original -- which served customers for 84 years -- we’ve designed today’s restaurant for today’s diners and tastes.
Opened as a tea room in 1914, the original restaurant was located five stories above our current location in the downtown Columbus Lazarus Department Store. It all began in 1850 when rabbinical scholar Simon Lazarus moved to Columbus. In 1851, he opened the Lazarus store at the corners of High and Town streets. The restaurant was the classiest dining destination of several in Lazarus, and sophisticated ladies decked out in white gloves and hats dined there while shopping for the latest fashions.
Times and tastes change though, and that restaurant closed in 1998 followed by the department store’s closure in 2004. In 2013, Elizabeth Lessner and Mike Hermick, created the new Chintz Room.
Whether sipping chardonnay at the bar or relishing a “sweet satisfaction” in our dining room, enjoy the Lazarus and Chintz Room memorabilia that surrounds you here. Begin by enjoying the dazzling white glass tulip-shaped lights above the bar; they came from the original restaurant.
Tomato Bruschetta with grilled house made bread
Blood Orange Salad
Prosciutto and Arugula flatbread
Ohio sausage stuffed house made ravioli with a vodka cream sauce
Gelato, cannoli and Stauf’s French Pressed coffee
Wine form the owner’s personal wine cellar